The story so far ...

1936

At the AGM of the Folly Tennis Club, it was decided to change the name of the club to the 'Andover Lawn Tennis Club' (ALTC). The club played on courts at Andover Cricket Club in Batchelors Barn Road. The membership fee was 10s (50p!).

1945

ALTC moved to Drove Courts, renting two hard and some grass courts.

1950s (early)

The landowner decided to sell the land but unfortunately ALTC could not afford to purchase it and the site became Taskers Sports and Social Club. 

ALTC agreed with Andover Town Council to use the Recreation Courts at Vigo Road.

1968 (13th may)

On this day, the Constitution and the Rules of the present ALTC were approved by the club membership.

1973

The first Club Championships were held.

1976

Membership grew and more court time was needed. Amazingly, the "old" site owned by Taskers Sports and Social Club was for sale. After much fundraising together with grants and loans from the HPFA, the Sports Council, the LTA and TVBC, the club purchased the land and courts in July 1976. Three new courts were laid over the existing two and the club returned to it's 1945 site.

1977

Additional land was bought for a larger car park.

 1978 (january)

An even larger piece of land was bought for future developments.

1978 (april)

A new clubhouse was built.

1979

ALTC won the prestigious Overton Shield (a tournament for teams in the Basingstoke league, first competed for in 1928). Four more Overton Shield victories have followed.

1986

The club won it's section of the "Silk Cut" National competition and won through to the area finals at the West Hants Club in Bournemouth.

1988 (July)

Two new floodlit courts were laid at the north end of the site, turning the club into a five court facility.

1992 (April)

Eric Chambers

The clubhouse was extended to include a large social area, named after one of it's most influential and hard working members, Eric Chambers. The Eric Chambers Clubhouse was officially opened by Keith Wiseman, Chairman of Hampshire LTA.

1999 (Spring)

The top three courts were resurfaced and repainted. The bottom two courts were subsequently repainted to keep up appearances!

2002 (Summer)

The clubhouse was refurbished, repainted and a new carpet put down.

2004 (Summer)

A Junior Under 10 years team represented the club for the first time.

2006 (Spring)

Courts 4 and 5 (bottom courts) were converted into artificial grass courts. Courts 1, 2 and 3 (top courts) were repainted.

The LTA recognised ALTC as an accredited Mini Tennis Centre.

2007

The Committee worked on the possibility of relocating the club to Balksbury Hill, a site which could accommodate 2 indoor courts, 6 outdoor courts and a new clubhouse. Plans were submitted to TVBC.

2009

The plans were turned down by TVBC but it was decided to appeal.

ALTC achieved Clubmark status, an accreditation given to Sports Clubs by Sport England.

2010

The Secretary of State approved plans for Balksbury Hill.

2015

Brackenbury site was sold to Perbury Group and Balksbury Hill site was purchased to build a new indoor/outdoor club.

Revised building plans were approved by TVBC to provide two indoor courts, 6 outdoor courts together with a clubhouse. Construction has started.

 

 

The Trustees of the Club, Brian Stuart, Margaret Winnett and Trevor Blake met with local MP, Kit Malthouse to show him the site and plans for the new Club.

 

 

 

2016 (SPRING)

Development Committee members, Rob Moon (Project Manager and club member) with Jonathan Lee (Head of Development Committee, Club Treasurer and club member) reviewing the progress of the construction of the new Club. 

 

2016 (MAY/JUNE)

Two new purpose built indoor courts were finished and opened. Tremendous hardwork and endless voluntary hours have been made by the General Committee and Development Committee to ensure an amazing facility is built for members and the community to use and enjoy.

 

 

Three outdoor courts were opened in June 2016.

 

 

 

2016 (winter)

 

The Clubhouse 'shell' is constructed. Landscaping to the site also took place after a successful funding application was awarded by Veolia Environmental Trust. This enabled the Club to lay a patio, paths and fencing.

 

2017 (SPRING)

The internal 'fit-out' of the Clubhouse is currently taking place. Many volunteers -members, non-members and local companies - have helped to complete plumbing, electrical work, decorating, kitchen installation, cleaning, making refreshments, as well as landscaping of the site and shed building.